Pictures of Korea by Brother Anthony
Now I use FaceBook to paste my
photos, very useful : [To find me enter Bro Anthony or An Sonjae
1. Early spring near Tongdo-sa and the cherry blossom in Hwagae (April 2011)
2. Spring flowers at Cheollipo Arboretum (April 2011)
3. RASKB members making tea at Hwaeom-sa (May 2011)
4. Offering tea at the tomb of Yi Mok (died 1498) in Gimpo (June 2011)
5. Weolchul-san Osulloc tea fields and Muwui-sa temple (June 2011)
6. Haenam: home of Yun Seon-do, Daeheung-sa, Mihwang-sa (June 2011)
7. Korea's Land's End (Ttangkkeut) and Boseong tea fields (June 2011)
8. Seonam-sa temple (June 2011)
9. The wood-fired onggi kiln of An Si Sung near Gimje (N. Jeolla) (June 2011)
10. Ssangbong-sa temple (S. Jeolla) (June 2011)
11. Borim-sa temple (Jangheung County, South Jeolla Province) (June 2011)
12. Beopju-sa temple Boeun County, in Chungcheongbuk-do province
13. RASKB excursion to Gangneung Sept. 17, 2011 and Sept 18, 2011
14. RASKB excursion to Andong (October 1-2, 2011) :
(a) ancient buildings etc in Andong.
(b) The Byeongsan Seowon (Confucian Academy)
(c) Hahoe Village
(d) The Andong Mask-Dance Festival (Mainly performances by shamans)
15. Old buildings etc seen in Miryang Oct 31, 2011
16. Work by 2 potters living near Miryang (see also many pictures of his work in the blog of one, Doweol Kim Haeyo, in Korean)
17. RASKB visit to Yeoju ('Queen Min's birthplace, Silluk-sa temple, King Sejong's tomb) in March 2012.
18. RASKB excursion to Japanese-era buildings in Incheon in April 2012.
19. RASKB excursion to Gongju and Magok-sa in September 2012.
20. A set of photos, some hand-colored, of Korea in 1933, from Nat. Geogr. Magazine.
Photos taken in the Rear Garden of Ch'angdǒk-gung Palace in Seoul at the end of winter.
Pictures taken in early autumn 2010 at Miso-sa temple in
Gochang (click on each photo to view the next)
Pictures taken in August 2009 at Gangneung/Kangnŭng of the old Korean houses where Yulgok Yi I and Heo Nanseorheon/ Hŏ Nansŏrhŏn were born.
Pictures taken at Mungyeong, at Juwang-san
and at the Songso Gotaek at Deokcheolli near Cheongsong in
Pictures of tea-making at Hwaeomsa,
Pictures taken at Hwaeomsa in February 2009
and a page of pictures
of Hwaeomsa Temple
Photos of the royal palace and the walls at Suwon, taken in 2008.
Pictures of the
tea fields etc of Jiri-san, 2006.
Some winter 2005 photos of the place where Chusa was exiled in Jeju Island.
Pictures of Byeongsan Seowon, Dosan Seowon, and Buseoksa after a visit to Andong.
Photos of a traditional Korean house in Gurye-gu, near the entrance to Hwaom-sa at the foot of Nogodan, Mt. Chiri.
Photos of beautiful autumn leaves from
November 2004 at Bulguksa
Temple, Kyongju and a
full slideshow mostly from 2007.
Some autumn 2003 photos of old Korean houses in or near Asan (Onyang) once inhabited by Chusa and Admiral Yi Sun-shin.
Pictures of Korea scanned from other printed sources:
Paintings from the Choson Era
Kim Dae-gyun- the only authorized (Human Cultural Assset) exponent of the Korean art of the Tight-rope.
Buddhist sculptures of
Avalokitesvara by Ho Kil-Yang
Photos of other countries by Brother
Now I use FaceBook to paste my photos, very useful :
A July 2014 visit to Java.(Indonesia)
especially the temple at Borobudur produced several FB albums:
of Borobudur Borobudur
and Mendut temples Prambanan
A July 2013 visit to England
produced several FB albums
Stonehenge, Salisbury Grasmere
and the lakes Oxford
and Iffley Tintern
and James Gale
A February 2012 visit to Hakka communal earth houses (Tulou) in Fujian Province, China
A February 2012
visit to a second group of tolou.
Riding a bamboo raft down the Nine Twists River in Wuyi-shan February 2012
Visiting the original Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) tea trees in Wuyi-shan February 2012
A smoking / drying shed used to make Lapsang Sushang tea inside Wu Yi Nature Reserve. Wuyi-shan. February 2012
numbers of pictures of Buddhist
in Shanxi Province, northern China taken
in summer 2009.
(and a linked slide-show) of tea-making
in Alishan (Taiwan), spring 2009.
A set of
stained-glass windows in the
Catholic Cathedral in Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia), designed by
Brother Marc of Taize.
taken in Yunnan Province (China)
in the summer of 2007 (Dali, Lijiang, Shangri-la)
Pictures taken in Taiwan
early in 2004. Others of the trees 2000 meters up
Ali-shan mountain in sounthern Taiwan in 2006 and the tea fields at 1000
Pictures taken in Wells (UK), February 2008
Pictures taken in Lincoln and London (UK),
Pictures taken in Buffalo, Harvard and Berkeley,
Pictures taken in Kyoto
(Japan), January 2006
Pictures taken in Vancouver,
Photos of Korea and other countries in
other internet sites
many famous places in Korea from Christopher
Witcombe's Art in
Photos by Guven Peter Witteveen offers a lot of
The Library of Congress houses
the huge Carpenter Collection of photos taken across the
world in the first two decades of the 20th century,
Korea, some being visible online.
of Southern California has a fine collection of photos
from old Korea (enter the search term "Korea')
The University of Wisconsis at
Milwaukee has an rich online archive of photos, especially
Boyd-Bailey McCune (son of the missionary George
Shannon McCune and brother of George McAfee) taken in
1938-9, mostly in Pyongyang etc. Also fascinating are the
photos taken by George
Foulk (see below).
Princeton Theological Seminary
early photos, although the images are frustratingly
Samuel Hawley (author of The Imjin War)
has published two fascinating books on George Foulk, one of
the earliest foreign visitors to explore Korea: America's Man in Korea: The
Private Letters of George C. Foulk, 1884-1887
(Lexington Books, 2007) and
Inside the Hermit Kingdom: The 1884 Korea Travel Diary of
George Clayton Foulk (Lexington Books, 2007). Alas,
the publisher refused to include the many
wonderful photos (many taken by Foulk) he had
prepared, so they can be viewed, more clearly surely, on the
There is a Korean Blog with many pictures of buildings in Seoul dating from the Japanese period
There is a wonderful set of photos of old Korea
from around 1900