class sharing (usually during the Friday class) students will
try to compare their responses.to the persons named after each
course will be taught in English. It is ESSENTIAL to prepare the
class by reading the week's text before class, then thinking
about your feelings toward the main figures.
1. (Sept 4 / 6) Introduction to the course Homer's Illiad
11 / No class Sept 13) Homer Odyssey (extracts)
text Odysseus: warrior, son, father, husband, known
to be 'crafty' yet he comes back alone.
3. (no classes, Chuseok)
4. (Sept 25 / 27) End of Odyssey. Sophocles Oedipus and Antigone Full Antigone text (Antigone YouTube) Oedipus and Jocasta, Antigone and Creon. Introduction to Hamlet
5. (Oct. 2 / 4) Shakespeare Hamlet summary 3-hour movie audio Hamlet as the embodiment of modern humanity, sure of nothing.
6. (No class Oct. 9 / Oct. 11) More about Hamlet. Discuss and compare the role of (1) the individual
(2) the family (3) human society (4) the gods and destiny, in
the works so far studied.
7. (Oct 16 / 18) Journey to the West
(chapters 4-5) Wikipedia
Full text [TV
2 ] Is Sun Wukong (the Monkey King) a hero
or a villain? Synopsis
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (chapter 45 etc) Wikipedia Full text Zhuge Liang or Cao Cao ?
8. Midterm exams
9. (Oct 30 / No class Nov 1) Dante Commedia (extracts)
10. (Nov 6 / No class Nov. 8) The Ramayana (Wikipedia) Full (abbreviated) text Rama and Sita: a wonderful love story or a tragic lack of trust?
(Nov 13 / 15) Racine Phèdre
Phèdre as the embodiment of illicit female desire Euripides
'Hippolytus' Summary Medea The
humiliated wife Medea
12. (Nov 20 / 22) Bible: Genesis Adam, Noah, Abraham, Joseph
13. (Nov 27 / 29) Milton Paradise Lost God, Satan, Adam, Eve
14. (Dec 4 / 6) Two Japanese Noh plays : Kagekiyo (photos) and Matsukaze (photos) Wikipedia Different kinds of love Dance from a Noh play Dance from Matsukaze
15 (Dec 11 / 13) Korea: Simchong. Article including a simple English version of the story Sim Chong part 2 (English translation of Changgeuk version) Pansori text partial translation (last breakfast) Complete pansori sung by Kim So-hui; Banga Taryeong; the Eye-Opening Text of the Eye-Opening: Various YouTube extracts.
report will be a sensitive expression of your personal
responses to the representations of the individual, the family,
society and the gods or destiny, found in the texts studied in
the first half-semester up to and including Hamlet. To
be placed in my mailbox in the 8th floor 영미어문 office by 5:00pm
on Monday October 28
report will be a sensitive expression of your
personal thoughts about the representations of human life, of
the importance of love, and the role of the gods, found
in four of the works studied after Hamlet.
To be placed in my mailbox in the 8th floor 영미어문 office by 5:00pm on Monday December 23
will be a mid-term and a final exam. Each exam will be graded in
such a way as to make it and the grades for the 2 reports