2004 Summer Program in Korean Studies
Brother Anthony (안 선재)
This course will introduce students to works by a small number of writers, seen in the broad context of Korean literary history but mostly discussed in terms of their content and style. Most of the works will be made available either online or in print.
6 class hours: July 12, 14, 15 1pm – 3pm Room 700, Arrupe Building.
1. Overview of the main figures in 20th-century Korean fiction
2. Overview of the main figures in 20th-century Korean poetry
3. The poetry of Ko Un
Prepare by reading the poems online at http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/Koun.htm
(Students might also bring to class the bilingual volume The Sound of my Waves published in Seoul by DapGae Publishing)
4. Shin Kyong-Nim's Farmers' Dance
Prepare by reading the poems online at http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/Shinkn.htm
(Students might also bring to class the bilingual volume Farmers’ Dance published in Seoul by DapGae Publishing)
5. Students' brief (4-5 minutes) presentations of the short story ‘The Plain’ by Seo Cheong-in.
6. Discussion of some major characteristics of Korean writing on the basis of what has been seen in class.